Ancient Greek Recipes
Ancient Greek recipes are relatively simple and can be full of health benefits.
soup recipes such as Fasolada have been around since ancient Greek
times and some say it's the national dish of Greece.
Fasolada is simply made from white beans, fresh vegetables, fresh herbs, spices, and Greek olive oil.
And learning how to soak your beans properly will help to make this national dish taste its best.
Authentic ancient Greek recipes such as pasteli which is also a Greek aphrodisiac will just use raw honey and sesame seeds.
Nuts such as pistachios, walnuts, or almonds can also be included.
Ancient Greek Recipes - Fasolada
- 1/2 Kilo or 1 Pound of Medium-Sized Dried White Beans
- 1 tsp. of Sea Salt
- 3 Organic Celery Stalks (chop into big chunks)
- 3 Organic Carrots (peeled & chop into big chunks)
- 1 Lg Organic Red Onion (peeled & large diced)
- 5 Organic Garlic Cloves (peeled & sliced)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Organic Apple
- 1 Tbsp. of Organic Tomato Paste
- 3 Organic Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Organic Vegetable Bouillon Cube
- 2 Liters or 8.45 Cups of Water
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- Add white beans to a bowl and fill with enough cold water to completely cover them.
- Add 1 tsp. of salt and gently stir. Allow to soak for at least 8 to 12 hours.
- Then drain and wash them well with cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- Place a stock pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and saute slowly for 20 minutes until the vegetables soften - stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and saute for 1 minute while stirring.
- Then add the beans, bay leaves, rosemary, bouillon cube, and the "whole" apple (adding the apple whole will help the soup thicken better - it will be removed when soup is done).
- Add the water and cover the pot with a lid.
- Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours - check on soup from time to time in case it needs a little more water.
- About 10 minutes before the soup is done, add the salt and pepper to season soup. Then cover with lid again.
- When soup is ready, remove from heat and remove the apple from the pot - discard.
- Serve soup by adding chili flakes, more seasoning, and more olive oil.
Ideas for Your Greek Soup Recipes
This bean soup is typically made with dry white beans, but sometimes fava beans are used instead.
Ancient Greek recipes like fasolada are also popular in countries like Turkey and Egypt.
Fasolada recipes vary considerably and you can add potatoes, hot peppers, whole tomatoes, and the different types of white beans to make your very own variation of this national Greek soup.
Just be sure to soak your beans properly, it can make a very big difference!
Ancient Greek Recipes - Pasteli
- 10.5 ounces of Homemade Tahini Paste
- 10.5 ounces of Organic Raw Honey
- Sesame Seeds
- Optional: Nuts (pistachio, almond, walnuts, or hazelnuts)
- Mix the raw honey and the homemade tahini paste together in a glass bowl.
- You can also add in some of your favorite nuts if you so desire.
- Then make small balls from the pasteli mixture and roll the balls into sesame seeds to coat.
Keep this Ancient Greek candy that's known for giving people many health benefits in your refrigerator.
Go to Greek Appetizers
Return to Greek Foods