Eating Raw Meat
and Grass Fed Meats
Eating raw meat whether your on a raw meat diet or not, should include grass fed meats.
Grass fed meats are probably the healthiest and safest meats to eat especially if you are on a raw meat diet.
Most people fear eating raw meat because they have been convinced that eating any type of raw meat will give them human tapeworms.
However, many cultures have been eating raw meat for a very long time! Steak tartare for example.
Raw meat does come with some very powerful benefits and you will have to weigh these benefits against the fear of getting human tapeworms.
Benefits of Eating Raw Meat
I believe that humans are true Omnivores and therefore require both raw animal and raw plant foods to thrive.
- High antioxidant food - raw meats are a great source of glutathione which is one of the most powerful antioxidants.
- Eating raw meat is a great source of protein which helps to build and repair your body tissues.
- Eating raw meat is easier to digest because it contains enzymes and other vital factors which are missing in cooked meats.
- Eating raw foods
that contain enzymes and other vital nutrients allows your body to use
more of its energy towards rebuilding worn out cells and keeping your
immune system strong.
- Meats that are cooked produce extreme toxicity or
AGEs, whereas meats that are raw produce no toxic effects.
Enzymes in meats will be destroyed by cooking!
will put a huge strain on your body as it needs to generate the
necessary digestive enzymes to make up for what cooking took away.
"Almost all traditional societies incorporate raw, enzyme-rich foods into their cuisines - not only vegetable foods but also raw animal proteins and fats in the form of raw dairy foods, raw fish and raw muscle and organ meats.
These diets also traditionally include a certain amount of cultured or fermented foods, which have an enzyme content that is actually enhanced by the fermenting and culturing process." Sally Fallon
- Main Fear of Eating Raw Meat
Tapeworms have both male and female parts and therefore, can produce their own parasitic eggs.
These parasitic worms can become a real problem if they thrive and grow inside of you.
The symptoms of tapeworms will noticeably arise when a human tapeworm becomes
too large and starts blocking your bowel.
And it can also deprive your body of
It has been said that raw meats can contain parasitic organisms such
as tapeworms, hookworms, etc. and that does include cows feeding on
contaminated grass or grass fed meats.
Some claim that tapeworm infection can be acquired by eating raw meats or the undercooked meat of an infected animal.
BTW, tapeworms have also been linked to grain eaters and a higher sugar intake.
Symptoms of Tapeworms
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Tapeworm Segments in Poop
Shockingly, human tapeworms can grow to as large as 26 to 40 feet in a pretty short time.
However, some raw foodist insist that "wormlike" parasites are
beneficial and not harmful.
Rather these organisms are seen as nature's
"cleanup crew" by some raw foodist.
As of lately, I have gotten over my fear of consuming raw meat and eat raw grass fed meats without any fear or problems.
However, just be aware of the symptoms of tapeworms and have yourself tested using a
doctor trained in spotting human tapeworms if you suspect that you have
The Benefits of Grass Fed Meats
- More beta-carotene content in grass also means more vitamin A in your meats
- Also, vitamin content is higher in grass fed meats like vitamin E and therefore, lowers your risk of heart disease
- The risk of getting Mad Cow Disease is virtually eliminated with grass fed cows
- Grass fed meats contain two to six times more omega 3 fatty acids than grain fed meats
- Grass fed meats will contain quite a bit more CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) and therefore offer more protection from cancer
- Grass fed animals tend to lack the chemicals or antibiotics which are probably found in all factory farmed animals
- The difference between grain fed and grass fed animal products is dramatic
And each day that an animal spends in a feedlot, its supply of Omega 3 is diminished.
Omega 3 fatty acids play a vital role in every cell and system in your body.
It's an essential nutrient for your brain and helps to combat depression, attention deficit disorder, and schizophrenia.
Eating Raw Meat Tips
If your deathly afraid of eating raw meat, freezing raw meat can kill some pathogens and parasites, but not all.
However, it's important to note that freezing will destroy some of the beneficial properties of raw meat.
Raw meat can come with its share of bacteria and it's also important to note that most of your digestion will come from bacteria called "friendly bacteria".
If you want a good amount of "friendly bacteria" because your on a raw meat diet - you'll want to eat fresh grass fed meats.
Grain feeding promotes the growth of dangerous E. Coli that is more
likely to pass through your stomach and infect your colon.
are fed a grass fed diet and are regularly rotated on pastures, the amount of dangerous E.Coli decreases dramaticially probably along with other parasites.
Go to Cucumber Salad Recipes
Return to Raw Food Health