Egyptian Bread with
100% Ancient Wheat
Egyptian bread is a flatbread called Aish Baladi which is similar to pita bread, but made with 100% whole wheat flour.
Originally, this Egyptian flatbread was made from emmer wheat.
Emmer wheat is an ancient grain that has extraordinary character and a very good taste. Emmer wheat is also known as Farro wheat.
It is lower in gluten and is the parent of the more modern day wheat varieties.
Egyptian Bread - Arabic Bread Recipe
- 8 cups of Emmer Whole Wheat Flour (shop for organic emmer whole wheat online)
- 3 cups of Filtered or Spring Lukewarm Water
- 4 tsp. of Instant Organic Yeast
- Sprinkle of Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. of Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt
- Add the yeast and a little sweetener to lukewarm water. Stir and let sit for about 10 minutes to activate yeast.
- Next, combine flour and salt in a big mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Mix with your hands until a dough forms. Then put the dough on your counter and start to work the dough.
- Knead the dough long enough to make the gluten very elastic and smooth - about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the kneaded dough back in the bowl and cover with a towel - keep in a warm area. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size - about 2 hours.
- Remove dough and cut into equal sized pieces (about 16). Stretch the sides a few more times before rolling dough into balls. Let balls proof for 15 min. - covered.
- Gently press balls into approx. 5 inch circles (about 1/4 inch thick) with your fingers - do not knock out the air bubbles while pressing. Proof dough again for 30 more minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 446 degree F oven on a large baking sheet or heated baking stone until golden brown - about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
Ancient Grains are Healthier
and More Nutritious!
Making your Egyptian bread recipes with an ancient grain like emmer will
give you a lot more nutrition and maybe less problems.
As modern day
wheat cannot compete with the ancient grains that are naturally higher
in protein and other nutrients.
Emmer is a hulled wheat variety. And it is high in protein and magnesium.
Emmer was the daily staple food of the ancient Egyptians for thousands of years.
And eventually, this grain made its way to Italy where it's still being cultivated today.
Return to Egyptian Foods
Return to Healthy Foods