and Preparing Fava Beans
Ful medames is a very popular ancient Egyptian meal that's made from fava beans and can be topped with your favorite version of fried eggs.
A more tradtional way of making this fava bean dish involves soaking fava beans overnight before creating your Egyptian bean recipes.
Soaking fava beans is a way to alleviate much of the problems associated with gas or indigestion when eating beans.
Dried fava beans will be easily found at Middle Eastern grocery stores and also goes by the name broad beans.
Fresh fava beans will be widely available during the springtime and can also be used in your Egyptian ful medames recipes.
Reasons to Soak Fava Beans
Soaking beans removes anti-nutrients such as phytic acid and trypsin inhibitors.
Soaking beans will minimize gas formation in your body and minimizes cooking times. Soaking also helps to clean the dirt and other residue found on beans.
to Soak Dried Fava Beans
- Sort beans and discard any old looking beans.
- Rinse beans once or twice.
- Soak beans with enough room temperature filtered water to cover the beans by a few inches (beans will expand during soaking).
- Soak beans for at least 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- You should discard the soaking water as the soaking water may cause gas in some people.
- Now your ready to cook your beans.
- First, remove the skins by squeezing the fava beans between your fingers. Discard the skins in the trash.
- Then place the fava beans in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until tender.
How to Cook Fresh Fava Beans
If you're feeling really ambitious, use fresh fava beans in your Egyptian recipes instead of dried fava beans.
Fresh fava beans will be available in most grocery stores during springtime.
Look for plump and firm fava bean pods.
- First, you will have to remove the fava beans from their pods by unzipping the pod.
you will blanch the fava beans in boiling salted water for 1 minute and then drain water.
- Next, shock fava beans in ice water until cool.
- Then squeeze the blanched fava beans between
your fingers to remove their final shells before consuming or using in your recipes.
Egyptian Ful Medames Recipe
Ful Medames Ingredients:
- 2 cups Cooked Organic Fava Beans
- 3 Diced Ripe Organic Tomatoes
- 1 Diced Organic Onion (small onion)
- 5 Diced Organic Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp. of Freshly Squeezed Organic Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Ground Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Ground Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 of a Diced Organic Hot Green Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. of Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
- Garnish: 1 Tbsp. Chopped Organic Parsley
- Garnish: Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Add oil to a skillet and heat pan to med-high heat. Saute onions and hot pepper with a pinch of salt - until translucent.
- Then add the garlic and saute until golden brown in color. Lower the heat and stir in the fresh tomatoes - cover with a lid and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove lid, turn up heat and stir tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Next add in the fava beans and let boil together before adding in the lemon juice and seasonings.
- Cover with lid and cook on a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with chopped parsley and olive oil.
Egyptian Ful Medames
Crock Pot Recipe
Ful Medames Ingredients:
- 1 pound of Dried Fava Beans (soaked overnight)
- 6 Cloves of Organic Garlic
- 7 cups of Filtered Water
- 4 Tbsp. of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp. of Fresh Organic Lemon Juice
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Chopped Organic Parsley
- Poached, Fried, or Sliced Hard Boiled Eggs to go on top of your Fava Beans
Crock Pot Instructions:
- Drain the water from the soaked beans and place beans in a crockpot.
- Add garlic and 7 cups of clean filtered water to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 12 hours.
- When beans are soft turn off crock pot and transfer beans to a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and mash slightly.
- Garnish with parsley, a drizzle of olive oil, and your choice of egg preparation.
Go to Egyptian Bread
Return to Egyptian Foods