Buy me a Cup of Aloha
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
and Olive Oil Ice Cream
The health benefits of olive oil can be included in great tasting desserts such as olive oil ice cream.
I had the opportunity to try olive oil ice cream at a farm in California and the taste will surprise you.
Olive oil is made from pressing the fruit that grows on olive trees.
The health benefits of olive oil include containing a lot of heart healthy fats.
And it is much healthier than other vegetable oils.
There are Mediterranean cultures that have made olive oil a big part
of their diet.
These people seem to have less heart problems than we
are experiencing here in the United States.
A large review of
studies found that real olive oil was the only source of monounsaturated fat associated with a reduced risk of stroke and heart disease.
Unfortunately, cooking with olive oil may not be the best idea to get the health benefits of olive oil.
out what type of olive oil is best for cooking.
And what type of olive
oil is best for receiving the most health benefits of olive oil.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- Helps lower high cholesterol in your blood
- Helps to remove beta-amyloid plaque inside brain cells
- Protects against type 2 diabetes
- Has anti-cancer properties
- Lowers risk of colon & breast cancer
- Has anti-bacterial properties - can kill harmful bacteria
- Promotes intestinal health
- Cleans the digestive tract and improves bowel function
- Great for your skincare
- Prevents gallstone formation
- Aids in weight loss & improves metabolism
- Contain vitamins E and K
- Protects against heart disease
- Prevents excessive blood clotting & lowers blood pressure
- Helps treat rheumatoid arthritis
- Loaded with powerful antioxidants
- Loaded with heart healthy fats
- Contains a variety of medicinal uses
The health benefits of olive oil also include beneficial effects on blood sugar and insulin sensitivity.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil's Oleic Acid
Many of the health benefits of olive oil are due to a heart healthy type of monounsaturated fat called oleic acid.
And monounsaturated fat makes up approximately 73% of the total oil content found in olive oil.
Oleic acid is known to reduce the level of inflammation in your body.
Extra virgin olive oil contains the highest level of oleic acid as well as antioxidant polyphenols like oleocanthal which have a similar effect as taking ibuprofen.
The antioxidants found in extra virgin olive oil can also inhibit some of the genes and proteins that will drive inflammation.
Oleic acid and extra virgin olive oil's antioxidants offer protection against heart disease by controlling your "LDL" bad
cholesterol level while raising your "HDL" good cholesterol level.
In places like Greece and Italy where people consume a lot of extra virgin olive oil,
there is a lower incidence of heart disease.
Olive Oil Ice Cream Recipe
The taste and texture of the olive oil ice cream that I had in California (which was similar to this recipe) was incredible!
- 1 3/4 cups 100% Grass Fed Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup 100% Grass Fed Cream
- 1/2 cup of Organic Sugar or Other Sweetener
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Jordan
- 4 Pastured Egg Yolks
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and add them to a bowl.
- Heat the milk over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the cream, salt and sugar. Stir and bring to a slow boil.
- Slowly temper egg yolks by whisking in a little of the hot milk liquid.
- Then add tempered egg yolks to the saucepan. Whisk on low heat until it is semi-thick.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl that's sitting in an ice bath.
- Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil. Then cool completely or refrigerate overnight.
- Add the mixture to an ice cream machine and churn until firm.
- Remove and freeze for a few more hours.
- Then scoop into a bowl and drizzle with authentic extra virgin olive oil.
You can make adjustments to this basic olive oil ice cream recipe. Use coconut milk instead of the dairy milk or use a healthier sweetener for example.
And I probably wouldn't cook anything, because I like my foods raw.
Cooking with Olive Oil
Most people think that cooking with olive oil is safe and healthy. Well it is as long as the cooking temperature doesn't exceed a certain
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The smoke point of extra virgin olive oils is approximately 320 degrees F.
Virgin Olive Oil
The smoke point of the virgin olive oils is approximately 420 degrees F.
Light Olive Oil
The smoke point of refined light olive oils is approximately 465 degrees F.
Getting the Health Benefits of Olive Oil
Some would argue that "unrefined" extra virgin olive oils will lose
the health benefits of olive oil when heated past 116 degrees.
Heating extra virgin olive oil will start to denature
cold-pressed olive oils.
And they will lose most of the powerful
anti-oxidants associated with the health benefits of olive oil.
Which is why you should never cook with the extra virgin olive oils.
This type of olive oil should be used to make salad dressings, pesto,
and ice cream.
Extra virgin olive oils should also be used to pour on
your hummus, pasta, and pizza.
Extra virgin olive oil also makes a
great dip for your sourdough breads.
If you're going to cook
with olive oil, the virgin olive oils are a much better choice.
still get an authentic olive oil, but one with a higher smoke point.
Virgin olive oils are not refined oils and can still be used like the
extra virgin olive oils to get the health benefits of olive oil.
important to note that light olive oils or the refined olive oils will
have the highest smoke point, but will have lost many of the health
benefits of olive oil.
Go to Authentic Olive Oil
Return to Healthy Fats