Italian Pizza Recipes
and Gluten Free Pizza Crusts
Italian pizza recipes should be made with your favorite toppings and could be made with a really good gluten free pizza crust.
A good pizza crust is usually made with flour that contains gluten.
However, there are gluten free pizza crusts that you can make these days with a variety of gluten free flours and other gluten free ingredients.
You'll never miss that good ol' pizza crust again!
To make the best tasting Italian pizza recipes, be sure to make your pizza sauce recipes with the best tasting tomatoes.
The San Marzano Tomato
San Marzano tomatoes are more oblong than they are round. They have a thicker flesh and fewer seeds than the standard plum tomato.
This tomato is known as the world's sauciest tomato and is an heirloom variety of the plum tomato.
Because San Marzano tomatoes have less seeds, this makes them less acidic and a better tasting tomato for your Italian pizza recipes.
These tomatoes have a somewhat longer growing season and are very
suitable for warmer climates.
They are grown in San Marzano a small
town near Naples Italy as well as in the United States.
San Marzano tomatoes have an intense and sweet flavor, so you won't really need to add any additional sweeteners to your pizza sauce recipes.
Italian Pizza Recipes
- Anchovy Pizza Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Anchovy Fillets
- 4 Organic Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. Organic Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Red Pepper Flakes
- 28 oz. Whole Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes (from Italy & crushed by hand)
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Sugar
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Optional: Pinch Baking Soda
- Add olive oil to a pan and set to medium-low heat. Throw in the anchovy and when it starts to sizzle - stir in garlic for 1 minute.
- Then add fresh oregano and turn the heat to low - stir for a couple of minutes.
- Next, stir in the red pepper flakes and the dried oregano.
- Then add the crushed tomatoes and raise the heat to medium - quick stir.
- Bring sauce up to a simmer while stirring in the seasoning and sugar.
- Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in a pinch of baking soda to reduce acidity level.
Italian Pizza Recipes
- Homemade Pizza Sauce from Scratch
Fresh ripe plum tomatoes that you pick from your own garden would be another great option for your homemade pizza sauce.
Tomatoes that you grow organically and pick when they are ripe will make the best tasting Italian pizza recipes.
- 2 quarts Fresh Ripe Plum Tomatoes
- 2 to 3 Organic Garlic Cloves
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Handful of Fresh Organic Basil Leaves
- Sea Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Pull off the stems and score the top of tomatoes with a knife.
- Par-boil for 30 seconds to 1 minute and then put tomatoes into ice water.
- Peel and remove tomato skins.
- Gently squeeze out seeds and then crush tomatoes by hand.
- Put crushed tomatoes in pan with sauteed garlic, freshly chopped basil, and the seasoning.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat - simmer for 5 or so minutes.
Gluten Free Pizza Crust
Creating the right textured gluten free pizza crust that replaces a gluten flour crust is a very important part when creating great Italian pizza recipes that are gluten free.
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp. of Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 Tbsp. of Organic Powdered Milk
- 1 Tbsp. of Organic Cornmeal
- 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Grass Fed Unflavored Gelatin
- 1/2 tsp. Organic White Sugar
- 1 tsp. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. of Organic Active Dry Yeast
- 2/3 Cup of Lukewarm Water (110 degrees F.)
- Add all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
- Divide dough into two balls. If sticky, coat with a little gluten free flour or add a little water if dough is too dry.
- Oil a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle a little cornmeal to create more texture for your crusts.
- Flatten the dough and spread to form two small pizzas.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and let dough rise for a few minutes before baking.
- Par bake crusts for 10 minutes in a preheated 425 degree F. oven.
- Remove and add your toppings - then bake your pizza for 15 more minutes.
Toppings for Your Italian Pizza Recipes
Use one or more of these toppings along with your homemade pizza sauce to make your Italian pizza recipes taste delicious.
- True Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Organic Parmesan Cheese
- Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Goat Cheese
- Raw Grass Fed Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sweet & Hot Peppers
- Onions & Garlic
- Ripe Olives
- Avocado & Pineapple
- Shrimp & Crab Meat
- Diced Bacon
- Sliced Ham
- Sausage Crumbles
- Diced Chicken or Turkey Breast
Make one of the most famous Italian pizza recipes - The Margherita!
To make a Margherita pizza just top the par baked pizza crust with homemade pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, slices of fresh tomato, and fresh basil leaves.
Then bake in the oven until the cheese melts.
Some people prefer to use pesto sauce instead of a tomato based sauce for their Italian pizza recipes.
I would fully bake my pizza crust and then add the pesto sauce along with other fresh toppings to get the most nutrition.
Fresh slices of avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes, and a raw creamy goat cheese would be divine!
Gluten Free, Grain Free,
& Low Carb Italian Pizza Recipe
- 1 Medium Organic Male Egglplant (peeled & grated)
- 1/2 Cup of Grass Fed Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1/2 Cup of Organic Almond Flour
- 1 Large Pastured or Organic Egg
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to Taste
- A Little Bit of Organic Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix everything except the olive oil in a bowl with your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grease paper with a little olive oil to prevent pizza crust from sticking.
- Put the pizza dough mixture in the center of pan and spread gently with your hand till about a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Bake crust for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and flip crust over and remove the parchment paper.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer and remove from the oven.
- Top pizza crust with pesto sauce, shredded cooked chicken, and grated Italian parmesan cheese.
What's a Male Eggplant?
Male eggplants will have less seeds and will be less bitter.
Female eggplants will have an elongated indention.
And male eggplants will have a more circular indention on their bottoms.
Go to Risotto Recipes
Return to Italian Food Recipes