Buy me a Cup of Aloha
Lox and Bagels
with Homemade Lox
Lox and bagels can be enjoyed during Hanukkah with gluten free bagels. In the past, bagels were only made using wheat flour.
However, things have changed and there's a variety of gluten free options these days.
Learning how to make gluten free lox and bagels is easier than most people think.
And a homemade lox recipe or cured salmon is pretty simple to make for your lox and bagels.
Homemade Lox Recipe
Lox is a raw fish dish and you definitely want to use the highest quality fish to get the most nutrition with the least amount of bad bacteria for your lox and bagels.
- At least 1 lb. Deboned and Skinned Sushi Grade Wild Caught Salmon Fillet
- 1/2 cup Fresh Organic Chopped Dill
- Put the salmon fillet on plastic wrap and add the chopped dill on top of the salmon.
- Then add the curing mixture to cover the entire salmon fillet.
- Wrap fillet tightly with the plastic wrap and put on a plate. Then put in
the refrigerator to cure for 12 to 18 hours.
- When cured, unwrap the fillet and remove the sugar, salt, and dill. Rinse the salmon in cold water.
- Dry the cured fish with good quality paper towels. Slice against the grain and make thin slices of lox.
- 3/4 cup Organic Sugar
- 3/4 cup Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Mix an equal part of sugar to salt.
- Use mixture to cure fish. Remove the salt and sugar mixture when fish is cured.
- That way you will end up with a less salty tasting lox and bagels recipe.
I would definitely use
wild caught salmon to make my homemade lox for my lox and bagels.
How to Make Bagels - Gluten Free
Bagel Ingredients & Instructions:
- 1 Organic Egg White
- 400 grams of Gluten Free Flour (a good quality "Bread Mix")
- Add egg white and flour to the activated rising agent and mix together until a dough forms.
- Then place dough in a bowl and place in a warm area covered for 15 to 20 minutes - or until dough doubles in size.
- Then knead the dough (just a little) and cut into equal sections before shaping into bagels (remember to poke a hole in the center).
- Put them in a boiling pot of water for 3 to 5 minutes. Then bake them on a parchment lined baking tray at 250 degrees C or 482 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Rising Agent Ingredients & Instructions:
- 2 dcl (about 1/2 cup) Warm Organic Milk
- 50 grams Melted Organic Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Yeast
- 1 tsp. Gluten Free Flour
- Stir together in a bowl and cover. Leave in a warm place or cabinet for 15 to 20 minutes (or until yeast starts growing).
- Then add in the other ingredients.
There are many types of gluten free "bread" flours to choose from these days as many people are finding out that they have a
You'll find these gluten free flours at regular grocery stores, big box stores, and for sure at health food stores.
And there are many different toppings that you can try with your lox and bagels.
Cream cheese and avocado are very popular choices.
How to Make Bagels
- Grain Free Cauliflower Bagels
- 3 cups of "Packed" Organic Cauliflower Rice
- Or 600 grams or 21 ounces of Cauliflower
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Organic Garlic Powder
- 2 Organic or Pastured Eggs (beaten)
- 2 Tbsp. Organic Almond Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Italian Parmesan Cheese
Spice Combo Ingredients & Instructions:
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Poppy Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Dry Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Dry Minced Onion
- 3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt (or to taste)
- Mix spice combo together and put in a small mason jar.
- Keep spice combo in your pantry until ready to use.
- Add ingredients to mixing bowl and mix ingredients together to form a cauliflower batter.
- Scoop enough batter into your hands to make a bagel and gently squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Then shape into a bun-shape and poke a hole in the center to make it look like a bagel.
- Place your bagels on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle and gently press on the spice combo mix.
- Bake bagels at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes - until cooked thru and golden brown. Let cool before slicing in half.
Go to Ezekiel Bread Recipes
You can alter the spice combo to suit your taste buds and to make your own spice blend for your lox and bagels.
Return to Jewish Food Recipes