and Risotto Basics
Risotto recipes can be made by using many different flavors and ingredients. And learning to make a basic risotto recipe will enable you to make your very own version of this classic Italian dish.
Learning how to make risotto is easier than most people think.
And you can easily learn how to make your own homemade vegetable broth or stock for your homemade risotto recipes.
How to Make Risotto - The Basics
- Use a wide and low pan along with a flat wooden spoon to make the perfect risotto recipes.
- Do not rinse the starch out of arborio rice!
- Shallots are preferred over onions in risotto recipes.
Be Sure to Use Arborio Rice
Arborio rice is an Italian short-grained rice which is named after the town where it was originally grown in Italy.
It is a somewhat oval shaped rice and has a pearly white color. This is the perfect rice for making a risotto.
This rice undergoes less milling than most other types of rice and thus retains more starch content. This feature gives this rice the ability to absorb lots of liquid.
When this rice is cooked correctly it will not become mushy like so many of the other types of rice.
- Butter is also the preferred fat used to toast arborio rice. And you must toast the rice for about 60 seconds.
- Also add in the wine before adding in your broth.
- And use great tasting broth or stock to flavor your arborio rice.
- A good ratio of arborio rice to liquid will be 1 cup rice to 3 - 3 1/2 cups broth/wine. And ladle your "hot" broth 1 ladle at a time.
- And let the rice absorb each ladle before adding in more broth. Remember to stir your rice constantly, but not fanatically.
- Be sure to cook the arborio rice to an al dente texture.
How to Make Vegetable Broth aka Stock
- 2 to 3 Organic Carrots
- 2 to 3 Stalks of Organic Celery (with leaves)
- 1 Organic Onion (with peel)
- Enough Filtered or Spring Water (to cover vegetables)
- 2 to 3 Organic Cloves of Garlic
- 1 to 2 Organic Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp. Organic Thyme
- 5 to 6 Organic Peppercorns
- Handful of Organic Parsley
- Misc. Pieces of Organic Vegetable Stalks, Leaves, or Tips
- Rinse and chop your vegetables. Put them in a big cooking pot along with the flavoring agents.
- Pour in enough water to completely cover your vegetables - cover pot with a lid.
- Then bring vegetables to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- When cool enough, strain the broth and discard everything except your broth.
- You can easily freeze vegetable broth in mason jars for your future
risotto recipes. And vegetable broth or stock will last for months in
This is one way to use up vegetables that would otherwise get thrown away and wasted.
Risotto Recipes - Asparagus Risotto
Go to Polenta Recipes
- 1 Bunch of Organic Asparagus
- 2 1/2 cups Homemade Vegetable Broth or Stock
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Organic Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup Organic White Wine
- Few Threads of Saffron (soaked in 3 Tbsp. warm water)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (grated)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Organic Lemon Zest
- Optional: Few Drops of Truffle Oil
You could add more depth of flavor to your asparagus risotto recipes by using grass-fed ghee instead of using olive oil.
- Rinse the asparagus and snap off the woody ends. Chop the rest of the asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces - set aside.
- Add a few threads of saffron to warm water - set aside. And put the broth into a saucepan and heat to a simmer.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium to medium-low heat. Then sweat the chopped onions for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, add in the arborio rice and stir with the onions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and stir until rice absorbs the wine. Then add a ladle of hot vegetable broth and stir until rice absorbs the broth.
- Add in 1/2 of the chopped asparagus. And keep adding in a ladle of broth one at a time (as needed) and stir as needed.
- In about 8 minutes, add in the rest of chopped asparagus and the remaining broth (one ladle at a time).
- In about 5 minutes, add the saffron water and the grated cheese - stir to combine. Remove from heat. Season to taste and add fresh lemon zest and truffle oil.
Return to Italian Food Recipes
Save Time and Shop On-line
Contact Kathryn if you have suggestions, questions, or comments.