How to Make Nut Butters
Learning how to make nut butters at home will be relatively easy once your taught the basic steps.
You'll learn how to make rich tasting macadamia nut butter that's high in heart-healthy fats.
Macadamia nut butter makes a great replacement for some of the higher in omega-6 nut butters like peanut butter.
You'll also learn how to make a tasty and well known nut butter spread from hazelnuts. And you will learn the basic steps to make nut butters from any of your favorite nuts.
How to Make Nut Butter
- Macadamia Nut Butter
Find good quality macadamia nuts for your macadamia nut butter. You'll want to buy fresh macadamia nuts that aren't rancid.
This is how to make nut butters like macadamia nut butter in about a minute!
- 1 to 2 cups of Organic Macadamia Nuts
- Use raw macadamia nuts or slightly roasted nuts in your macadamia nut butter
- Add macadamia nuts into a high speed blender like a Vitamix and blend on high for about a minute - use a tamper with the Vitamix.
- Then pour macadamia nut butter into a glass jar to store.
As you can see learning how to make nut butters only takes having some nuts and a powerful machine like a Vitamix.
My Family Had a
Macadamia Orchard in Hawaii
Macadamia nuts come from evergreen trees that you will find growing in places like Australia
We had about 250 macadamia nut trees on our property and I would earn extra money from picking up nuts that fell from our trees.
Some people choose to process macadamia nuts themselves, but my family would take 50 pound bags of macadamia nuts to the mac nut factory in the area we lived to be processed.
However, I did learn the best way to create great tasting macadamia nuts from a lady at a farmer's market in Hawaii.
When you crack the hard shell that protects the macadamia nut, just
lightly roasting these raw nuts will bring out their rich flavor.
She also soaked her fresh macadamia nuts for less than an hour before lightly roasting them.
Lightly roast raw macadamia nuts for your macadamia nut butter by adding them in a single layer onto a baking sheet and roasting them for 10-15 minutes at 250-300 degrees F.
Have a Rich Buttery Flavor!
Macadamia nuts are very high in heart-healthy fats. Around 77% of macadamia nut's fat will be in the form of monounsaturated fats.
Macadamia nuts and mac nut butter is a good source of minerals like magnesium,
copper, and manganese.
Macadamia nuts may be one of the nuts that do not really have to be soaked for long periods of time before turning them into a nut butter.
This is because of their lower amount of anti-nutrients.
How to Make Nut Butter
- Hazelnut Spread
Have you ever wondered what went into a Nutella hazelnut spread?
Here are the ingredients that go into Nutella: Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), and flavour (vanillin).
It doesn't really sound like quality ingredients to me, but now you can make a homemade version of Nutella hazelnut spread.
This homemade recipe is a paleo version of Nutella because it does not include any dairy.
You might want to soak and dehydrate or roast your hazelnuts to help remove their numerous anti-nutrients.
- 2 cups of Organic Hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp. of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 6 Tbsp. of Organic Raw Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder
- 6 Tbsp. of Maple Syrup or 2 Tbsp. Raw Organic Honey with Stevia
- 4 tsp. of Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk or Your Favorite Unsweetened Organic Paleo Milk
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Grind your hazelnuts in a Vitamix or high speed blender. Then add the oil - blend together.
- Then add the rest of your ingredients - use the tamper with the Vitamix.
- Blend until creamy texture is reached.
- Transfer nut butter to a glass jar and store in your refrigerator for about a week.
Hazelnuts are also called filberts which are a sweet flavored nut that taste great in desserts.
Hazelnuts are a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids called oleic acid.
Hazelnuts are rich in B vitamins and the mineral magnesium. They also have a high amount of manganese, copper, and vitamin E.
How to Make Nut Butters
- Some Basic Steps
Buying the best quality raw nuts is how to make nut butters that taste good.
It's important to note that nuts with
any type of dis-coloring or mold should be discarded.
Fallon recommends for every 4 cups of nuts:
- Soak the raw nuts in 1 Tbsp. of sea salt.
- Soak raw nuts in salted water for at least 8 hours or longer (then drain and rinse nuts).
- Dehydrate your nuts until they are completely dry and crunchy (approx. 12 to 24 hours at no more than 150 degrees F).
A good technique is dehydrating nuts at 145 degrees F for 1 hour and then turning down the temperature to 115 degrees F for the remainder of the dehydrating time.
Then you'll need some sort of high speed blender or food processor (works better for certain nut butters) to make your nut butters.
Add sea salt,
sweeteners, spices, and other oils to your nut butter which is how to make nut butters that have a different flavor.
Store homemade nut butters in a leftover glass jar that you already have in your kitchen.
Or purchase some appropriately sized mason jars which are "normally" readily available in many stores.
Go to Coconut Milk Recipes
Return to Raw Food Health