How to Make Nut Butter
How to make nut butter at home is relatively easy once you learn a few basic techniques.
You'll learn how to make rich tasting macadamia nut butter that's high in heart-healthy fats.
Macadamia nut butter makes a great replacement for some of the higher in omega-6 nut butters like peanut butter.
Learn how to make nut butters from macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, and almonds.
And learn how to properly soak your nuts.
Also, learning how to make your own peanut butter may help you to avoid some of the health issues caused by consuming "shady" peanut butters.
How to Make Nut Butter
- Macadamia Nut Butter
Find good quality macadamia nuts for your macadamia nut butter. Buy fresh nuts that aren't rancid.
- 1 to 2 cups of Organic Macadamia Nuts
- Use raw macadamia nuts or slightly roasted nuts in your macadamia nut butter
- Add macadamia nuts into a high speed blender like a Vitamix and blend on high for about a minute - use a tamper with the Vitamix.
- Then pour macadamia nut butter into a glass jar to store.
As you can see learning how to make nut butters only takes having some nuts and a powerful machine like a Vitamix.
This is how to make nut butters like macadamia nut butter in about a minute!
When you crack the hard shell that protects the macadamia nut, just
lightly roasting these raw nuts will bring out its rich flavor.
Macadamia Nuts Have a Rich Buttery Flavor!
Macadamia nuts are very high in heart-healthy fats. Around 77% of
raw macadamia nut's fat will be in the form of monounsaturated fats.
And macadamia nut butter is a good source of minerals like magnesium,
copper, and manganese.
I learned the best way to create great tasting macadamia nuts from a lady at a farmer's market in Hawaii.
She only soaked her fresh macadamia nuts for less than an hour before roasting.
Then slightly roast raw macadamia nuts for your macadamia nut butter by adding them in a single layer onto a baking sheet and roasting them for 10-15 minutes at 250-300 degrees F.
Macadamia nuts may be one of the nuts that do not really have to be soaked for long periods of time before turning them into a nut butter.
This is because of their lower amount of anti-nutrients.
Macadamia nuts come from a tree that you will find growing in Australia
and in Hawaii.
How to Make Nut Butter
- Hazelnut Butter
Always wondered what went into a Nutella butter spread?
Now you can make your own version of Nutella!
Soak and dehydrate or roast your hazelnuts to help remove their numerous anti-nutrients.
- 2 cups of Organic Hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp. of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 6 Tbsp. of Organic Raw Cacao Powder or Cocoa Powder
- 6 Tbsp. of Maple Syrup or 2 Tbsp. Raw Organic Honey with Stevia
- 4 tsp. of Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk or Other Paleo Milk
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Grind your hazelnuts in a Vitamix or high speed blender. Then add the oil - blend together.
- Then add the rest of your ingredients - use the tamper with the Vitamix.
- Blend until creamy texture is reached.
- Transfer nut butter to a glass jar and store in your refrigerator for about a week.
Hazelnuts are also called filberts which are a sweet flavored nut that taste great in desserts.
Hazelnuts are also a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids called oleic acid.
And hazelnuts or filberts are rich in B vitamins and in the mineral magnesium. Hazelnuts have a high amount of manganese, copper, and vitamin E.
How to Make Nut Butter
- Sprouted Almond Butter
Making a sprouted almond butter or nut butter will help give your body more nutrition and will eliminate some of the anti-nutrients found in nuts like almonds.
- Soak raw almonds in salted water.
- Soak for 12 to 24 hours or until little sprouts form.
- Rinse soaked nuts and put on dehydrator trays.
- Dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 24 hours before making sprouted almond butter.
- Raw Organic Sprouted Almonds
- Add almonds to a food processor and blend on high speed for about 10 to 11 minutes (scrapping sides as needed).
- At about 11 minutes, add a pinch of salt, other oils, and vanilla extract if you so desire.
- Blend for a couple more minutes or until creamy in texture.
Almonds are a good source of minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and copper.
Unfortunately, almonds have a very high amount of the anti-nutrient called oxalates which bind to minerals.
Does sprouting help to remove this anti-nutrient?
Almonds have some of the highest amounts of protein that's found in nuts and are composed of a whooping 19% of protein.
And almonds are a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
Almonds are also a source of the powerful antioxidant vitamin E.
How to Make Nut Butter - Tips
Buying the best quality raw nuts is how to make nut butters that taste good.
It's important to note that nuts with
any type of dis-coloring or mold should be discarded.
Fallon recommends for every 4 cups of nuts:
- Soak the raw nuts in 1 Tbsp. of sea salt.
- Soak raw nuts in salted water for at least 8 hours or longer (then drain and rinse nuts).
- Dehydrate your nuts until they are completely dry and crunchy (approx. 12 to 24 hours at no more than 150 degrees F).
A good technique is dehydrating nuts at 145 degrees F for 1 hour and then turning down the temperature to 115 degrees F for the remainder of the dehydrating time.
You'll need some sort of high speed blender or food processor (works better for certain nut butters) to make your nut butters.
Add sea salt,
sweeteners, spices, and other oils to your nut butter which is how to make nut butters that have a different flavor.
Store nut butters in a leftover glass jar that you already have in your kitchen.
Or purchase some 8 oz. mason jars that are readily available in many stores.
How to Make Peanut Butter
- Chai Flavored
- 16 oz. of Organic Roasted Peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. of Organic Raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp. of Cinnamon (use true cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon)
- 1 tsp. of Organic Cloves
- 1 tsp. Organic Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Organic Cardamom
- 1 tsp. Organic Allspice
- Put ingredients into a food processor and blend on high speed for about 5 minutes - look for a ball to form.
- Scrap down sides and blend for another 2 minutes or until creamy.
Peanuts are notoriously associated with aflatoxins and pesticides.
Aflatoxins are a toxic fungus and should be avoided at all costs along with pesticides.
Peanut Butter - Tips
Soaking and sprouting peanuts before dehydrating or roasting will help to
eliminate aflatoxins and other anti-nutrients such as phytic acid.
I would probably only use roasted peanuts in my peanut butter recipes to eliminate most of the anti-nutrients.
Peanuts are a great source of minerals such as magnesium, copper,
zinc, and manganese. They are also a good source of vitamin E and the B
Adding a little flax seed oil to your peanut butter is how to make
peanut butter with a better omega-3 to omega-6 ratio.
Most people consider peanuts a nut, but they are technically a legume.
Peanuts have a decent amount of protein and are high in the amino acid arginine.
Most of its fat is monounsaturated, but peanuts also contain a good amount of omega-6 fatty acids.
Go to Coconut Milk Recipes
Return to Raw Food Health